Today is International Thank You Day. Apparently unlike Thanksgiving where we are thankful, on this day we actually say “thank you” to other people. I’m not sure where the day originated from whether it was someone who missed Thanksgiving or someone from a greeting card company. But the idea is a good one, and one that perhaps we should pay a little attention.
There are the little thank yous in life that I think are going out of style. When someone you don’t know does something nice I was taught to say thank you. So many times I see people in public simply smile and walk away from someone who holds a door or lets them go in front of them in line. It doesn’t take much effort to utter the two words. Don’t let anything hold you back!
And then there are those in our lives that do wonderful things for us. We often assume they are aware of our gratitude, but today reminds us to say the words. Here are a few of my thank yous:
- To my husband – thank you for putting up with me for 11 years. I hope you will do so for another 11.
- To my sister – thank you for always being there for me and making me laugh
- To my parents – thank you for raising me right, gifting me with your values, outlook on life, and for being there for me
- To Dan – thank you for enriching my life with your friendship and wonderful conversations
- To my cat – thank you for not throwing up on my head when you sleep on my pillow
See, it’s easy. Who do you want to say thank you to?